Begin your tour at the Newport Public Library located at 901 East Sixth Street in Newport. There is public parking in the lot. Restrooms and water fountains inside the library.
The walking tour is approximately 2.0 miles long, and should take 90 minute to two hours at a leisurely pace.
The Gateway Historic District has many one-way streets that can make driving confusing, especially for those unfamiliar with the area. For this reason, the walking tour is truly a walk, because it ignores street traffic patterns.
As you move through this guide we’ll alert you to specific points of interest.
Head west on East Sixth Street
The Hanaford – circa 1902
Our Lady of Providence Academy was a school built in 1902 in the Beaux Arts style, and designed by architect Samuel Hannaford. The school was originally called the Academy Notre Dame de Providence, but was transformed into an all girls high school in 1934. Now known as The Hannaford, the building contains condominiums. Note the porthole and dormer type windows in the roofline and the elaborate use of masonry accentuating every opening. Denticulated belt courses separate the floors. A companion house of the same style and architecture can be seen at the far rear of the property.
Turn Left on Linden Avenue
619 Linden Avenue
An excellent example of an American Foursquare, this home was built by realtor Harry C. Spinks. Original double entry doors of geometric leaded glass and elaborate leaded glass transoms crown large windows on the lower floor. A colonnaded front porch is reminiscent of the Colonial Revival style. Lovely Tiffany-style stair glass can be seen from the street. The visually striking tile roof is an unusual feature in the district.
Turn Right on East Ninth Street.
Turn Right on Maple.
800 Block of Maple Street
Maple’s 800 block exhibits a string of homes on the west side that look very much alike in size and design. All contain excellent examples of stained glass transoms. Also, many have lovely stair glass windows.
700 Block of Maple Street
Maple’s 700 block displays an interesting mix of Queen Anne, Italianate and Colonial Revival homes. Newport’s expansion in a southeasterly direction from the city center is most evident as one moves north along Maple. The east side of the street is predominately Colonial Revival style homes, while the west side of the block mixes Italianate with Queen Anne designs.
600 Block of Maple Street
Many homes in the 600 block exhibit typical Colonial Revival style detailing such as the use of columned porches and Palladian windows. Most of the homes were built after 1899 when land owned by Charles Megerie, owner of the daily Markets Chain and first owner of 610 and 626 was subdivided.
Notice the well-appointed Queen Anne residence is located at 634 Maple.
Turn Left on East Sixth Street.
Turn Left on Park.
610 Park Avenue
This Queen Anne townhouse was built for Col. J. A. Andrews, Civil War veteran and millionaire businessman. He was the head of the Newport Rolling Mill and Andrews Steel Company two of the largest industries in Newport. The home exhibits the use of sandstone belt course and decorative masonry cornices. An arched stained glass window surmounted by an elaborate masonry hood enhances the front façade. The entrance porch has Doric columns set atop stone piers. Don’t miss the stair glass on the side.
617 Park Avenue
This Victorian is very rare in Newport, having qualities in keeping with the Soulard Houses of St. Louis. Note the arched entrance and front window with stained glass on the first floor. Various brick textures accent the openings. The upper story uses brick to form a denticulated belt course and arches for the openings. The use of textured brick is continued into the roof cornice with a checkerboard pattern.
619 Park Avenue
Italianate in design and massing, this home exhibits many Queen Anne decorative features including stone belt courses, stained glass and the side porch spandrels. Note the use of textured bricks to accent the windows, and the ogee decorative element at the cornice.
700 Block of Park Avenue
The 700 block of Park Avenue features a string of 20th century bungalows with their characteristic box shape, wire cut brick and large covered front porches. Geometrically shaped beveled glass transoms and front window decorations grace the façades.
729 Park Avenue
A singularly exquisite stained glass window graces the front façade of this Queen Anne home. The elaborate brick and stone arch accentuates the feature, and the use of textured brick accents and emboldens otherwise standard openings.
734 Park Avenue (The William H. Harton House)
A veteran of the Civil War and a delegate to the Grand Encampment in Louisville, Mr. Harton worked in Newport as the head of the Green Line Trolley Company. The current owner, a well-respected decorative artist, displays fine murals and expert faux finishes on the interior. The home features unusually prominent overhanging gable ends, rusticated stone lintels and sills, and scallop wood shingles.
800 Block of Park Avenue
Park Avenue’s 800 block contains more examples of Italianate and understated Queen Anne style homes, featuring the use of various brick textures and corbelling to decorate the front façades.
827 Park Avenue
This house is an excellent example of an Italianate Newport Plan home. It retains its two=story brick front and Queen Anne window on the first floor. On the second floor are paired one-over-one double hung windows separated by a fluted iconic pilster and topped by another decorative stained gall panel. One Newport Plan feature evident on the house is the side porch at the entry door.
828 Park Avenue
Turn Right on East Ninth Street.
Turn Right on Monroe Street.
Queen Anne sash is seen at 846 Monroe Street in the sidelights and transom of the residential entrance as well as the upper floor window sash. This type of sash is characterized by small panes of colored glass surrounding a large center pane of clear glass.
806 Monroe Street
An elaborate Queen Anne features the unbridled use of stick style millwork to decorate the sides of the property, including bargeboard (also known as vergeboard) at the third story porch gable roof. The diamond-shaped slate roof and second floor side bay are unusual in the Newport area.
St. Mark Church, Eighth Street and Monroe — circa 1890
The Victorian Gothic Revival style church has functioned in the same denomination since its founding. The Gothic arched entrance with paired Norman columns features original frame double doors with stained glass transom. The entrance is gracefully oriented to the corner and flanked by turrets.
727 Monroe Street
This house is an excellent example of a Newport Plan entry Italianate home with decorative millwork porch. The 700 block of Monroe Street exhibits similar stone retaining walls, wrought iron fencing and gates on both sides of the street, adding continuity.
719 Monroe Street
This home is a grand example of a Newport Italiante townhouse. It has a three-bay front, stone sills and lintels with rope and medallion designs, bracketed cornice with friese windows and a paired front entry.￼
718 Monroe Street circa 1886
Joseph Scarlett, manager of R. G. Dunn and Company’s Mercantile Agency on Cincinnati’s Fourth Street built this home. Henry Johanning was the first resident. Unique to this Italianate residence is the projecting square bay on the lower story topped by a second story balcony with turned posts and decorative millwork.
Also take a look at the stained glass, corbelled brick and decorative masonry of the Queen Anne residence at 705 Monroe Street￼
704 Monroe Street
This stunning Queen Anne has a recessed front entry and a “Newport plan” side entry. Features include a presses sheet metal corning, carved string courses and stone lintels and windowsills.
Do you notice the quintessential Italianate at 637 Monroe Street?
628 and 630 Monroe Street
These homes exhibit the “Newport Plan Entry” that was used in this area until the 1910s. It is a side entrance into a foyer and stairwell. The Eastlake style entry porches, with their elaborate detailing, were made possible by the great technical advances in the late nineteenth century sawmills. Also, note the characteristic Newport wrought
iron fencing and unusual cornices. John Fick, a carriage maker, and his wife Christine were the first owners of 630, built in 1888.
624 Monroe Street (Kroger House) – circa 1887
Barney Kroger purchased this home in 1888, and was its first inhabitant. He lived here with his family until 1897. He already owned four grocery stores in Cincinnati when he moved to Newport. The business was then called The Great Western Tea Company. The home was built in the Second Empire style, and is a brick structure with smooth-faced sandstone veneer. Stone quoins ornament the first floor while stone pilasters grace the corners of the second floor. A decorative bull’s eye pattern on the stone stringcourse separates the two stories. A diamond-patterned mansard roof facade is indicative of the architectural style.
611 Monroe Street
This house was built in 1899 by Peter N. Bardo as an investment property. His firm, the Bourbon Copper and Brass Works, produced a fire hydrant that would not freeze in cold weather. The Queen Anne style is reflected in the asymmetrical elements of the facade. On the south side of the main elevation, a projecting bay, graced by a stained glass window, rises two and-one-half stories to an arched attic window. Take note of the Eastlake style entry porch with its elaborate detailing.
606 Monroe Street circa 1897
Adelaide S. Riggs built this home in 1897. The home features a sheet metal cornice with paired brackets. There is a 2-story bay on the south façade constructed to provide additional ventilation and light. Note the decorative stone lintels
on the front façade, versus the plain lintels along the sides. The entry stoop is classic Newport Italianate.
603-609 Monroe Street circa 1880
Bracketed cornices with frieze windows, incised stone lintels and beveled quoins exemplify Italianate style in this row of city homes. Low stone walls with wrought iron gates mark the front property lines.
602 Monroe Street
Turn Left on East Sixth Street.
Turn Left on Overton Street.
Overton Street 600 to 800 Blocks
Italianate style homes line both sides of Overton from the 600 to 800 block with few interruptions. Here you see many variations on the style, including smaller plans at 632 and 634 Overton, as well as several examples of the Newport plan side porch which are embellished with elaborate millwork.
624 Overton Street
A rare East Row example of the elegant Second Empire Style. Patterned shingles cover the concave mansard roof, mimicking the original slate. Mansard roofs, named for 17th-century French architect Francois Mansart, are the identifying feature of the Second Empire style. Metal finials embellish the roofline. It also features elaborate window hoodmolds on the front façade, borrowed from the Italianate style, as the two architectural styles were contemporaneous.
A side-hall plan Italianate built for John Hay, agent for the Adams Express Company. The eaves boast large, paired brackets, and stylized pilasters flank the elegant entryway, supporting the rounded arch above. The stone window hood moldings over the tall, arched windows are a fine example of elaborate window crowns, complete with pendant drops.
625 Overton Street (First Presbyterian Church) — circa 1893
The old First Presbyterian exemplifies the high-style Gothic Revival style. The church, built in 1893, was designed by architects Crapsey and Brown. Note the ornamental stonework of varied patterns, and flying buttresses along the side elevation. The large rose window is centered on the main façade, and is flanked by cusped arch windows. The church was converted into two condominium units in 1993 and 1994.
628 Overton Street
The residence at 628 Overton is a grand example of a brick Italianate townhouse, with exquisitely detailed sheet metal ornamentation consisting of a bracketed and denticulate cornice, arched window hoods and elaborate entry door surround with cast metal accents.
630 Overton Street
Excellent examples of decorative millwork and stained glass are located on the 1st and 2nd floors. Step back to better see the wraparound porch, paired arches with decorative brickwork, and bracketed roofline with metal finials at the peaks.
635 Overton Street
Joseph Harcourt, a tackle block manufacturer, built this home in 1886. It is an opulent example of eclectic Queen Anne design. Corbelled bricks, stone swags and jewel-like stained glass transoms accent the façade, along with the decorative checkerboard pattern of brick and tile in the gable field. The wrought iron balustrade on the porch is an unusual touch.
641 Overton Street (Siedenberg-Wright House)
This circa 1887 Newport-plan Italianate was built for John H. and Charlotte Siedenberg, who lived there for nine years. Siedenberg was a stone mason but was previously a street car driver. Also boarding in the home during these years was the Wright family who were from England. The house was sold in 1896 to Oliver M. Wright, a manufacturers agent, who continued to live there with his mother and seven siblings. His sister, Mary J. Wright, lived in the home for 60 years until her death in 1956. She was a book-keeper with the Wadsworth Watch Case Co., whose factories dominated the immediate area, for over 30 years.
The home has a sheet metal cornice and stone lintels and belt courses. The lintels feature carved foliate decoration. On the south façade is a side entry Eastlake porch with original milled columns and railing. Topping the corbelled chimneys are clay chimney pots.
702 Overton Street — circa 1878
Thomas Spinks was the first owner of this Italianate style home built in 1878. Note the two-story side bay. This Italianate is unique in its use of ornamentation on both the front and side facades, incorporating arched windows topped with decorative hood molds, a recessed entry with elegant surround, and a bracketed cornice.
709 Overton Street (Charles Wiedemann House)
This circa 1883 Italianate was built for Charles Wiedemann, the son of George Wiedemann Sr. who founded the George Wiedemann Brewing Co. of Newport. Wiedemann became president of the company upon his father’s death, and was also director of the First National Bank of Newport. Wiedemann and his family lived in the home for about 15 years before moving to his mother’s large home on south Park Avenue overlooking the city. The three-story addition on the rear of the house was added in 1913. The double-decker front porch was added at about this time as well. Wiedemann sold the house to the Knights of Pythias in 1928. The group used it as their fraternal hall, or “Castle,” through the 1930s for club meetings and performances (the front parlors were converted to a dance floor and there was a stage and meeting room on the third floor). The “password door” on the third floor dates from this time and was probably used to protect members against the enforcement of then-prevailing prohibition laws.
The home has a hipped roof, with paired scrolled sawn brackets supporting the overhanging eaves, and large gingerbread brackets on the south bay. The imposing stone hood mold and door surround is unique in the district. The home has multiple corbelled chimneys, and stone lintels. It also features a stone stringcourse and decorative brickwork on the front façade.
723 Overton Street — circa 1882
This is a typical Italianate style with stone lintels, decorative quoins and paired brackets at the cornice. Also of significance is the parapet stone retaining wall, which is a design element in its own right. The original owner was Louise Hugle.
724 Overton Street — circa 1880
One of East Row’s few examples of an Italianate that is three windows wide with a front first floor bay. Note the recessed entry and elaborate stone segmental arched window hoodmolds.
Did you notice the stained glass windows at 732 Overton?
819 Overton Street
The 800 block as a whole exemplifies the Italianate style of architecture. At 819 Overton, note the use of pedimented window hoods, constructed of sheet metal, and the matching door surround. The dormers at the roof feature sunburst detailing.
825 Overton Street
This former First Temple Society of Spiritualists church was dedicated September 22, 1901. It is a Colonial Revival structure featuring blind arches in the gable, dentil molding, and paired engaged columns. Also of note is the elaborate wrought iron fence, unique to the district. Glance down the side façade to see the lancet arched nave windows. From the 1950s until the late 1980s the property was used by the Catholic Order of Foresters. It was used as a church until June of 2004 and is now a private residence.
Turn Right on Ninth Street
Turn Right on Washington Avenue
841 Washington Avenue “The Vendome”
This Italianate residence was built for grocer John Anderson in the early 1870s. In 1913 aspiring business woman Margaret “Maggie” Yeager transformed the home into the Vendome, an elegant Victorian boarding house and restaurant. The home has serve as a charm school for young ladies, a nursing home, and a daycare facility, but is best known as the “Beverly Hills Barracks.” From the 1940s through the 1960s, the theatrical boarding house played host to a variety of stars including Frank Sinatra, Marilynn Monroe, Al Jolson and Elvis Presley, along with numerous showgirls from Newport’s casinos.
840 Washington Avenue
St, Stephen’s School was the original home for Newport Catholic High School. The school opened in 1929 as St. Stephen’s High School, and changed its name to Newport Catholic High School in 1932. The building is currently, Holy Trinity Junior High School.
825 Washington Avenue
The original St. Stephen’s Catholic Church was located at Ninth Street and Saratoga Street. In 1938 the new St. Stephen’s Church was constructed at 825 Washington Street across from the St. Stephen’s School. Though many of parishes in Newport have merged, St. Stephen’s Church is still active.
30 East Eighth Street
Built in 1900, this building on the corner of Eighth Street and Washington Avenue originally housed the Newport Post Office. After the post office moved to its current location at Fifth Street and Columbia Street, the Newport Independent School District’s School Board Offices we housed in the building.
601 Washington Avenue
Originally the home of the Donaldson Lithography Company, a major printer of posters for Vaudeville shows, circuses and beer companies. Later it became the factory for Hyde Park Clothiers. In 1984, the factory closed. It was renovated, and is now the office complex Water Tower Square.