The Mansion Hill Walking Tour is approximately 1.2 miles long, and should take 40 minutes to 1 hour at a leisurely pace. Begin your tour at the Mansion Hill Park located on the corner of East Third Street and Park Avenue.
The Mansion Hill Historic District has many one-way streets that can make driving confusing, especially for those unfamiliar with the area. For this reason, the walking tour is truly a walk, because it ignores street traffic patterns and uses passages open only to pedestrians.
As you move through this guide we’ll alert you to specific points of interest.
Head south on Park Avenue.
320 Park Avenue
An exquisite display of original stained glass, arched windows and round shingles in the gable end delight the eye in this Queen Anne style home.
322 Park Avenue
This Queen Anne style house has a unique stone veneer façade, making varied use of decoration, including a checkerboard pattern. The clipped gable roof form is called a jerkinhead, and the porch and door were added in 1927.
328 Park Avenue
This Queen Anne style home features a projecting gable front with decorative shingles, decorative stone lintels and sills and an entrance door with stained glass transom.
401 Park Avenue — circa 1899
This Georgian-Revival style home was built by George Wiedemann Jr., younger son of the beer baron. Unfortunately, he died just a few years after moving in. The interior still exhibits many traits of turn-of-the century Victorian style, including a secret compartment in the newel post of the back staircase.
Turn left on Fourth Street
500 Block of East Fourth Street
This is Newport’s unique “Queen Anne Row.” In late Victorian times these elegant homes belonged to Newport’s elite. Notice the irregularity of the facades and rooflines characteristic of the unrestrained and opulent Queen Anne style.
523 East Fourth Street
525 East Fourth Street
One of the most opulent Queen Annes in the district, this lovely home is graced with attributes that embody all characteristics of the architectural style, including a corner tower with conical roof. Note the highly decorative cornice brackets, millwork and grouped porch columns.
528 East Fourth Street
535 East Fourth Street
This Colonial Revival cottage, built in the early 20th Century still has its original stained glass and multi-light diamond patterned windows on the second and third floor.
558 East Fourth Street
This restored Queen Anne is an example of a frame design, much rarer than brick in the Mansion Hill Historic district. Queen Annes were made possible by industrial advances, making millwork more affordable.
Turn Right take Sidewalk through Providence Park
Turn right at Nelson Place
On Nelson Place you will experience a walk down one of the few original brick streets remaining in Northern Kentucky.
662 Nelson Place — circa 1905
This solidly built Foursquare style home at 662 Nelson Place features a hipped roof and substantial boxy apperance. Leaded glass in the transom over the frint window and door beautify the homes otherwise somber appearance.
610 Nelson Place — circa 1903
Built by insurance agent Joseph A. Cloud, this well-detailed Colonial Revival home includes Ionic porch columns, garland and swag decoration on the second floor bay and a Palladian attic window.
608 Nelson Place — circa 1898
Circuit Court Judge John T. Hodge purchased lots 1 and 2 of the Nelson Place Addition in 1889 for the princely sum of $8,000 —the normal price of a lot with a house at the time. Judge Hodge constructed this unique Swiss Chalet-style home with cutout panels on the porch railing and upper balcony.
Turn Right on Park
Turn Right on East Sixth Street
Turn Right on Monroe Street
530 Monroe Street
Constructed in 1894, the Central Christian Church features wonderful stained glass window with Masonic motifs.
524 Monroe Street — circa 1895
This house is representative of of the Victorian Queen Anne style. The home features refined Queen Anne style detailing such as the dentil molding along the roof gable and the bracketed cornice. A two-story bay displays a columned window trim and the orginal stained glass transom.
502 Monroe — circa 1885-1900
An excellent example of the Queen Anne style, this house is one of few in Newport with a full-height tower. Three porches, each of a different design, face the street. The second floor porch displays a Barber arch. The façade is enlivened by cut and rock-faced stone and brick of smooth and rough textures. A two-story attached apartment was added in the 20th Century.
Turn left on East Fifth Street
417 East Fifth Street — circa 1890
This circa 1890 Queen Anne home is two-and-one-half stories, three bays wide, has a prominent front gable and a two-story turret with a conical roof.
311-315-317-319 East Fifth Street — circa 1870
This row of Italianate style townhouses feature identical window hoods, bracketed cornices and slightly recessed entries.
Turn Right on Washington Avenue
413-421 Washington — circa 1865-85
A row house block in the Italianate style constructed in two stages, 10 years apart. The front steps are actually gracefully arched stone bridges over the English basement entries. Pedimented window hoods cap the first story windows, while flat arched versions crown those of the second story.
Turn Right on East Fourth Street
Turn Left on Overton Street
324 Overton Street
This front facade with Romanesque details and prominent Flemish gables at the roofline is unusual in Newport. The use of fluted Corinthian columns on the porch and the banistered platform add elegance and asymmetry to the facade.
313 Overton Street — circa 1890
Jackson Duncan, a manufacturer of paper boxes, built this home. The use of stone veneer as opposed to brick gives this Queen Anne a robust and imposing appearance. The porch has paired Tuscan columns set on a solid stone railing.
312 Overton Street
A classic Queen Anne of the grandest proportions. Note the lavish use of stained glass and decorative masonry around the entire structure.
311 Overton Street — circa 1870
This Italianate style features a Newport plan side porch. Original to Northern Kentucky, this design maximizes the front facade on long, narrow lots. The porch features Eastlake spindlework and turned posts.
310 Overton Street
Note the use of quoins in the turret, stained glass in the transom of all front windows and the columned porch with denticulated moldings. The area around the front picture window is accentuate by the use of different type of brick.
306 Overton Street
In this high style Queen Anne home we see the use of quoins in the turret, stained glass in the transoms of all front windows and fanciful porch posts and railings. The area around the front picture window is accentuated by the use of a different type brick. Look up to enjoy the highly decorative chimneys.
305 Overton Street
Built by the junior partner, perhaps not wanting to overwhelm either the neighboring house or its occupants, built a “junior” Queen Anne style house at 305 Overton.
302 Overton Street — circa 1889
Built in the Queen Anne style by Thomas McIlvain, Sr., partner in a boiler manufacturing company. The location and sheer mass of this corner house are impressive. Turrets, lacy milled woodwork and various elements of romantic victorian archetecture are distinguishing features of this home. A patterned mosaic decorates the gable field over the wrap-around porch. The ten ornate stained glass windows are some of the finest in Northern Kentucky. Be sure to notice the orginal sandstone sidewalk on the north side of the building.
Turn Left on East Third Street
335 East Third Street, The James Taylor Mansion — circa 1847
James Taylor built his home on the highest point of his land grant at the mouth of the Licking River in what still a wilderness in the early 1790s. In 1815 he replaced that first log home with a grand Federal-style house designed by Benjamin Latrobe, which he named “Bellevue.” A disastrous fire in 1842 led to the home’s next incarnation, in the Greek Revival style, built circa 1847. The home originally faced the Ohio River, but in 1889 the building’s wings were removed and relocated. The Colonial Revival portico was added facing the newly-platted Third Street.
329 East Third Street — circa 1896
This Chateau-style home was built by the Thomas McIlvain family, along with its twin next door, as an investment property. McIlvain was president of McIlvain & Spiegel Boiler & Tank Co. of Cincinnati, a manufacturer of steam boilers for steamships and breweries, and lived across the street at 301 Overton. The first known resident was R.C. Barnard, a Canadian civil engineer, who was listed as a renter in the 1900 U.S. census. The houses remained in the extended McIlvain family for over 35 years. The house was sold to Rose Buschmiller, a milliner, in 1933. She lived there with her brother-in-law, John J. Phistner – a Newport City detective – and his family from the 1930s to the early 1950s. His son, Stanley C. Phistner, a Campbell County deputy sheriff, bought the house from his aunt in 1948. They continued to live there until the early 1950s.
This home is one of the few Chateau style influenced residences in the historic district. Particular Chateauesque details are the rusticated stone exterior, the roofline pinnacles and roof finial. Classical details include the 3rd floor Palladian window and the porch’s Doric columns. The porch additionally features a tile mosaic pattern in the gable field.
315 East Third Street — circa 1880
Built for fruit merchant Clarence Davidson, this is Newport’s nearest example of the Shingle Style. Its complex Queen Anne composition includes a corner turret and double “galleries” (porches); the inset third floor balcony echoes the arch of the entry porch. Shingles of varied patterns cover the upper stories.